Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Let Freedom Run 5K

I'm not sure how it's possible to be so exhausted from work when this is only my 2nd week and I was really only in the office for 3 days each of those weeks... First week, I had 2 days of orientations, and then this is a holiday week.  Nonetheless, I was exhausted and a little upset with myself for committing to an early wake up on the first day of a 4-day weekend. 

I did it though, woke up, made some iced tea and exited the house only to discover it was already disgustingly hot and humid.  I drove to Fairfax Corner and parked with about an hour to spare before the race start.  An HOUR, are you kidding me?!  I could have slept longer!!  I found a bench in the shade and people watched until it was time to line up at the start line.

I'm very familiar with the Fairfax Corner loop, and with all the hills that are associated with is.  As I started, I wondered if I would be able to run the whole thing without walking?  Uh, no.  Not sure where I got that idea since I can't remember the last time I've run more than a mile or so without stopping??  Such would be the deal today as well, one mile running.  I made it up most of the first long hill but than said eff-it.  I tried to keep my walk breaks to the minimum as we trudged along the pavement.  I finished off by running another half mile to the finish line. 
We'll file this in the "worst race photo ever" category.
I grabbed my water and walked around a little to cool down and then headed home, but not before stopping off at Panera for a breakfast sandwich... with BACON!!!  First bacon I've had since becoming pescatarian after the Ireland trip (no, I wasn't cheating -- I allow myself 1 meat day per week).  So yummy!  Then it was off to Gettysburg for the 150th reenactment and to visit with my cousins who were visiting from the midwest.  It turned into a VERY hot day with a lot of unexpected walking and I was exhausted by the time we got home, so no fireworks for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment