Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Clarendon Day 10K and Tropical Storm Joaquin

Yeah, I know that running a race the week before Ironman isn't on any plan that I have.  But let's be honest, I never "race" these events.  I wanted a supported event and an opportunity to try out my race belt and drinking from only my drink flasks that I carry instead of stopping at every aid station.  This race provided me exactly that.  Heidi agreed to do this with me, and in fact she signed up to do both the 5K and the 10K in preparation for her half marathon next weekend.

Since there were 2 events, and lots of people signed up to do both distances, the start times were staggered.  The 5K started at 8am and the 10K didn't start until 9am.  My plan was to get there around 8:15, get my packet, see Heidi finish the 5K and line up for the 10K.  I can't remember the last time I got to sleep in so late on a weekend!  In fact, I was wide awake by 6:30 and ended up getting to Arlington in time to see Heidi before she started the 5K!  We chatted and I saw her off, and then I wandered to get my shirt and bib number, use the port-o-pots, stop back at my car.  My teammates, Kate B and Jen F, both found me (separately) and I chit chatted with them for a bit.  I had so much time on my hands!
It turned out the 5K was a point to point (as was the 10K) and so I couldn't watch Heidi's finish.  Instead, she had to finish that race and make her way back from Rosslyn to Clarendon for the next event.  She called me just as the 10K was starting and told me to go ahead without her.  I agreed knowing she'd probably catch up.  I started out jogging, then walked when I felt like it.  Eileen, Henry and Megan passed me so I jogged a little more to chit chat with them for a second.  Then about a mile in, I decided to speed walk.  I know I will be walking in Ironman, so I should practice that.
Heidi did catch up with me and jogged beside me while I speed walked, and we kept that up for the rest of the race.  I was maintaining 15 minute miles by speed walking which made me happy.  I didn't stop and any of the aid stations!  I grabbed water, poured it into my flask, or drank a bit, but never slowed down.  This was the point of doing the race in the first place, and I'm glad I got the practice.  Definitely glad I signed up for this.

The race gave us free metro cards to get back to Rosslyn, and from there Heidi and I met up with Deb and had a wonderful brunch at Whitlows.  I got home and noticed some chaffing -- I will have to be more diligent about applying body glide next weekend.  After a shower, I met up with Sweeney and went out to join Paula at a winery for the day.  Yes, maybe I should have spent this day packing and doing laundry.. oh well.  It was a good final long "run", and I followed that up with my last 30 mile bike ride with Tommy on Sunday.

So here we are... RACE WEEK!!!   3 days left... until..... HurricaneMan??
Yep, that's right.  Tropical Storm Joaquin is swirling around in the Atlantic, and a bunch of weather models have it gaining strength and becoming a hurricane within the next day... and moving up the coast right to Cambridge, Maryland.

Grocery shopping is done.  Laundry is done.  Bags are packed.  I have bad weather plans, and backup plans and all that.  All of my focus has been on the weather reports.  Various models have this storm doing different things (though we can 100% count on rain and wind, it seems).  All I ask is please please please, don't cancel the swim portion!!

Next stop, Ironman Village!

No comments:

Post a Comment