Thursday, September 3, 2015

hello there burnout, I've been expecting you

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out
how far one can go."
- T.S. Elliot
August started out with a bang!  A fantastic long run through the nation's capital and along the Mt. Vernon trail.  Under 14 minute miles, even doing my 2/1 intervals (2 min run, 1 min walk). 
Longest run AND fastest pace!!
Of course the chaffing that resulted from that run was one big fat FAIL.  Ouch!

The next day, I met a few of the self-proclaimed back of the pack ladies from Team Z for an unofficial ride, and ended up riding with Maddison.  It was the first time since joining the team that I had a riding partner who was exactly my pace, and we stayed together from start to finish!  Maddison, where have you been on all my other rides?!
Ignore the nail polish.... who's got time to get to a nail salon these days?!
A minor setback came during recovery week when I found out I have extensor tendinitis on the top of my foot.  No idea how it happened, but it's painful.  Rest, ice and ibuprofen is what the doctor ordered, so I took a few days off of running and biking (the bike shoes are too hard and aggravate the foot).  The doctor also suggested that I get another steroid injection at the location where I had surgery as it's still a little inflamed, but it only really hurts when I try to stand on my toes (think yoga), so I decided to wait until after the race to deal with that.
Check out those paces!!  I was downright giddy about this!!
But.  I bounced back from that injury and had a great Power Run workout.  What's a Power Run?  Well, it's a run and boot camp combo.  We start with a one mile run, then do a 10 minute boot camp circuit, and then repeat that three times.  On the first night of this workout, Kerri, the workout leader, gave me a goal to not walk at all during the mile repeats.  Boy, that was going to be a challenge!  I was successful, even that first night, though my mile pace was close to 14 minutes per mile.  I didn't care because the goal was to run the whole thing, and I did that. But... look at these paces!!  If there is one thing I can say about training this season it's that my running is getting better.  I'm not promising anything more than a death march in Ironman, but I am going into that race with a much better run base than I had anticipated, and that makes me happy.
Then there was the Poconos fail.  August sure was filled with ups and downs!  I was told that I should absolutely not worry about making up the lost long run and long bike from that race.  So I didn't.  Instead I shook it off and concentrated on the peak training weekend, the 120/20.  And no, I didn't get to 120 miles on the bike, but I am still calling that a success -- everyone says 100 hilly miles is the same as 112 flat miles.  I sure hope that's true!  And the run.... meh... my great run from earlier in the month was on fresh legs, I can't possibly think I'd repeat that the day after a century ride.

I will say though, I am tired.  All the time.  Even if I get 8+ hours of sleep per night.  If I am not at work, swimming, biking or running, then I am sleeping.  My friends might actually start to forget what I look like.  I'm kind of sick of swimming.  And biking.  And running.  I wish I had time to do other fun activities like hiking or kayaking or paddle boarding.  I miss hanging out at wineries on the weekends, and happy hours during the week.  I think I am ready for this race to be over.
Me testing out my new seat during an after work ride on the W&OD
Oh, but in awesome news, Bonzai bike shop let me return the bike shoes that hurt so much last weekend!  Even though I'd worn them on a long ride!  They also helped me pick out new shoes (same model but wider) and modified my old shoes to give the right one more ventilation, just in case I need a backup pair.

Holy shitballs, 30 days... THIRTY DAYS... One month!!  I've got my bib number... lucky 961!  It's getting real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment