Thursday, September 24, 2015

knocking off the last checklist items

We're getting close!  Time to knock off those final checklist items that I now have time to do with long workouts coming to an end. 

1. Finalize race day outfits.
Done.  I did a trial run of the bike and run outfits during the 120/20 weekend and am pretty happy with my choices.   On my birthday weekend run, I got some pretty nasty chaffing from my shorts, which is weird because they're the same shorts I've been wearing all summer.  So I am taking a backup pair just in case the chaffing isn't completely healed up, but that will be a game-day decision (well, day before since that's when we have to turn in the gear bags).  I've also decided to wear compression socks on the run (cheap ones since I might change my mind and throw them out mid-race) as I have had issues with shin splints on some of my brick runs.
I will be doing full wardrobe changes for each event.  For the swim, I'm wearing an old raggedy suit that really should be thrown out (and probably will be after this race), but it's comfortable and will be compressed under the wetsuit, so it doesn't really matter what it looks like.  Then, look for me in my Team Z green on the bike and run courses!

2. Get a bike tune-up
Done, but this led me to two additional items to add to the list based upon the feedback:
2a. Get a new bike chain
During my tune-up, the guy told me that my current bike chain is on its last legs.  I don't know why he didn't suggest to change it right then and there, but it's definitely something I'll want to do before the race, just in case!
2b. Swap out the cassette (put on compact)
Xena came with a compact cassette which is great on flats, but since we train hills, one of the Team Z ride leaders suggested that I get a new cassette that would give me some extra gears (thanks for the Christmas present, Jon!).  Now that Maryland is upon us, it's time to put the original cassette back on. 
3. Learn to pee on the bike - it's a time saver and every second counts!
You are not going to believe this, but I DID IT!!!  I was always someone who said, 'I'm never going to be so rushed that I won't spare a minute to use a port-o-john'... until I heard that a teammate missed the Lake Placid cutoff by 4 mintues, and she could account for those 4 minutes wasted in the port-o-john line!
It was during a rainy ride in Cambridge, and I was all alone getting soaked. I figured, what better time to see if I can do it than when the rain will give me a good washing.  I was so proud of myself!

4. Learn how to change a flat!  Get comfortable doing it.
I'll be the first to admit, I need more practice with this!  After Sunday's team ride, I dropped Xena off at Bonzai to get a few final things tweaked (see #2 above), so I didn't have my tri-bike tire.  But, a tire is a tire, right?  So I grabbed the wheel off my road bike and got to work.
I settled in to watch the Ravens game with all my supplies.  I got the hang of changing it but had the hardest time getting the dang tire back on after the new tube was in!  I even broke one of my tire levers! I'll be practicing a few more times before the 3rd...

5. Order new running shoes, goggles... test them out.
Run shoes...check!  Did my final long run from my house last weekend (it's always so hard to run from my house... too many opportunities to cut it short or skip it all together).
I love the color and the shoes worked great... though my body didn't love this run.  Very hard to get going and keep going, I think I only had about 2 miles in there that felt good. OH, but also, check out the new Garmin!!  Happy birthday to me!!  I had been worried about my Garmin 910 running out of battery during Ironman and wanted something that would last the full marathon, so welcome, Garmin 220.  Bonus:  It's purple!
Goggles are goggles, but the last time I ordered a new pair, they ended up leaking (even though they were the exact same brand and style as I've had before) and I had to go through a whole return process.  So it's important to make sure these new ones are good and sealed.  On a side note, if you've ever wondered what a pool looks like at 5am, save yourself the trouble and sleep in... it looks the exact same as any other time of day (just a little darker outside)!

6. Develop a race plan.  Make the lists and check them twice!
Anyone who knows me knows that making lists is my thing!  I've got lists upon lists upon lists!  Also, with my teammate, Val's help, I have developed a thorough race plan to mentally get me through each aspect of the day.  If nothing else, logistically, I am prepared!
7. Stock up on all the miscellaneous items:  Ibuprofen, body glide, bike tubes, etc..
I will say that Amazon is loving me right now!  Seriously, there have been packages at our doorstep every day for practically the past month.
The beauty of Amazon prime is that it's 2-day delivery which means I have until Monday to put in a last minute order before I have to physically walk into a Target (who's got the time or patience to deal with that?!).

8. Come up with bad weather provisions (rain, cold, etc).
Extended forecasts cannot be trusted.  This I know.  And I know I shouldn't stress over elements that you can't control (and I'm not).  That said, knowledge is power which leads to preparedness.  Early reports say that there could be rain or overcast skies.  Low temps have been reported down to about 50.  So I need to plan for that.  Arm warmers on the bike, maybe a long sleeve shirt for after dark on the run.  Extra socks everywhere in case they get wet.

So, the catch here is that we will not get special needs bag contents back.  Special needs bags are bags of gear, nutrition, etc, that we can access halfway through the bike and halfway through the run if we choose to do so.  For example, in the bike special needs bag, most people put spare bike tubes, CO2 cartridges and other necessities as a just in case - no biggie if they get tossed after the race.  But you wouldn't want to put your favorite jacket in here, only to have it hot and sunny and then you lose your jacket forever.  So, my plan:
  • Swim - no backup plan, but will take tri top and bottoms in case it's not wetsuit legal
  • Bike - I was going to buy knee socks, cut the toes out and make cheap arm warmers, but then Andrea told me I was being silly and pointed me to cheap ones on Amazon - ha!  I probably would've spent more on the knee socks!  I also picked up a pair of cheap socks in case there's water on the bike course (high tide floods Maple Dam Rd)
  • Run - I found a cheap long sleeve shirt at Target, picked up some single-use ponchos, and more cheap socks.
9.  Stay hydrated.  Do not get sick!
Vitamins.  Emergen-C.  You name it, I'm taking it over this last week to keep myself as hydrated and healthy as possible!  GAME ON!!

10.  Freak out!  Get excited!
Done and done!  I have a set of completely reasonable paces for each event that, if accomplished, would mean I would finish by midnight.  But anything can happen.  I've also got completely realistic scenarios where I wouldn't finish until 30-40 minutes after the midnight cutoff.  And there are some optimistic (but doable) circumstances where I could finish before midnight with some time to spare (but I wouldn't get too attached to this outcome).  At this point I'm more anxious than anything.

Too many variables that I can't control.  The weather, for example.  Will the currents be in our favor?  Will there be jellyfish?  How much wind will there be on the bike?  How cold is it going to get for the run? -- I want to be in the water, on the bike and doing the run.  I am ready for this to get here already!
My super awesome lane-mate, Leanne, gave me this card and bicycle angel pin.  It's pinned to my Team Z jersey to wear on the 112 mile journey.  It's getting real -- single digit countdown!

No comments:

Post a Comment