Wednesday, September 2, 2015

the epic 120/20 weekend - peak training!!

It's been sitting there on the calendar since the beginning of the season, the epic 120/20 weekend, peak training for ironman.  That is, 120 miles on the bike, and a 20 mile run.  Though for full disclosure, my weekend was more like 100/16... here's how it broke down:
Some of us slower folks were invited to start the long ride early, giving us an hour head start on the rest of the group.  So, we showed up at Nokesville Park at o-dark-thirty and prepped for our 6am start.  It was a little hard getting everything ready in the dark!  I hadn't even considered needing a headlamp or anything. 
Prepping Xena in the dark!
I started out with Maddison and Kate C.  I do have to say it was really pretty riding so early in the morning with the sun just coming up.  There were more hills than I expected, pretty early on in the 74 mile route.  I always fall back from the group on the uphills and then catch up to them on the way down.  But the hills are disheartening, and I just had to remember that Maryland will be flat. 
Kate and Maddison
Oh, in the last week, I also made a trip to Bonzai in search of a new saddle.  Mine had been killing me and I couldn't imagine doing another long ride on it.  I'm not sure it's the best idea to switch something right before the longest planned ride, but I knew it wouldn't be worse.  After testing out a few, I decided on one that was unfortunately out of stock and had to be ordered, but they let me keep the tester saddle so I could start riding with it.  I also bought a new pair of cycling shoes that would hopefully address the hot spots I'd been getting, specifically on the outside of my right foot.

I'm happy to report that the saddle worked well!  We picked up Kim O. around mile 30 and the 4 of us continued on together, with a quick potty break around mile 45 and then the aid station at mile 55 that Val and Kim N. had fully stocked with food and goodies.  I was feeling good, happy to be sticking with the pack and happy with my decision to buy that new saddle.  My feet on the other hand were not so great.  The new shoes were too narrow and squeezing my feet.  Funny that I bought the shoes to address a problem on one foot and the result was both feet hurting!
Kim, Kate and me!
Back at the cars at the end of the first loop and I was relieved that I still had my old shoes in my car, so I changed back into them.  Maddison wasn't feeling well and decided not to go back out for the next loop.  I started out with Kate and Kim, but they immediately took off and there was just no way I was going to be able to keep up, I didn't even try.  I wasn't feeling it anymore and this ride was no longer fun.  I put myself in a super low gear and just started spinning, going forward inch by inch.

Around mile 85, I was on a long slow incline, and I was done.  I got about halfway up, pulled over to the side of the road, texted Joann that I wanted to quit, and just stood there for awhile, trying to get my breathing under control and my head back in the game.  A bunch of Zers passed me in both directions, asking if I was OK and cheering me on.  Later Kate V. told me that as she was passing me and cheering for me, a truck came speeding down the road and terrified her.  When she looked back, she couldn't tell if I was laughing at her or crying.  To be honest, I'm not sure either!  It was definitely a low point in that ride.

I knew there was a gas station at mile 90, so I figured I could make it there and just sit for awhile. What I didn't know is that some of the SAGs set up an aid station there.  I wasn't in the mood to talk to a bunch of people, but they did have cold towels and Gatorade.  I hadn't realized how hot it had gotten!  Other cyclists came and went and I just sat there.  Linda and Katrina (the awesome SAGs) told me I was done and wanted to pull me, but I had decided that I wanted to at least get to triple digits.  I didn't do the full 110 ride a few weeks ago, and I was determined to at least do another century. 
The next aid station was 5 miles up the road, so I figured I could make it there and then do a small out and back to get to 100 miles.  And that's exactly what I did!  100 miles!  I guess I'm happy with that.  I had wanted to do 120, or at least 112, but it was hot, humid and hilly.  And I knew the last 5 miles of that route had a bunch of hills also... there was just no way, not how I was feeling.  Everyone says I'm fine.. I hope so!  I hung out with Val and Kim N. while they packed up the aid station and then caught a ride back to the park. 
I drove home, took a shower, ate some pasta salad and crawled into bed.  Another early day was greeting me on Sunday... the long run!  I arrived at Lake Accotink at 6:30 and joined the long line of Zers waiting for the gates to open.  The run was to be a 3-mile (each way) out and back route, plus there an additional 1-mile out and back route for anyone who needed an additional 2 miles.  We had a 4 hour time limit on this run, so I knew I wasn't going to get in all 20, but thought I'd get 17 or 18.

I felt good as I started out with my 2/1 run to walk intervals.  Again though with the hills!!  Some people decided to run the trail around the lake instead because it's flatter, and maybe I should have joined them, but wanted to be with people.  Usually it takes me until mile 3 or 4 to start feeling OK on the run, but I actually felt pretty good that whole first loop.  Kate V joined me for miles 3-6(ish) and it was nice to have someone to talk to while running.  That almost never happens for me.  I hate holding people back though so I was happy she decided to speed up a little for the 2nd loop. 

I spilled half my water bottle as I was trying to refill my hydration pack - oops!  As I started the 2nd loop, my legs were beginning to feel every mile of the bike ride the day before.  I maintained the intervals, minus walking up all the big hills, for the first half of that loop.  Then I started walking more than I should've.  I was definitely slow moving.  My pace for the first loop and a half was in the 14-something per mile range, and I could see it slowly creeping up.  Oh well.  About a mile from the park is where Joann and Daz found me, as they were there to cheer.  As a bonus, they gave me a water bottle which was awesome since I was completely out.  I realized that I would not have time to complete a 3rd loop, and decided instead to do the smaller 2-mile loop twice to get to 16 miles.  My goal at this point was to make this my longest run, and to do all 4 hours. 
Joann helped me refill my hydration pack this time so I didn't end up spilling anything.  Then she walked the first part of the loop with me.  Her and Daz leap-frogged the rest of the loop and Joann would get out and walk parts. That was awesome!  I walked a lot, ran when I could, but was getting bad calf cramps when I tried to run, to the point of not knowing if my legs would keep my body upright.  Then Allison appeared and joined me for my final stretch!  Those 4 miles seemed like they took forever and I was so happy to finally get back to the park and finish that run.  My socks were completely wet from all my sweat and blisters were forming on my feet.  Actually, all of my clothes were completely soaked.  Disgusting. 
I changed into a towel to drive home, took a shower and then it was off to a winery to celebrate being done with the peak training weekend!  I am only going to have to bike and run that far again during the race.  I can't say that it's all downhill from here, but we should definitely start winding down as we head into taper. 
We had a fun afternoon at the winery, stuffed our faces, drank lots of wine, and I was home and in bed by 6pm!  It's sad when you're actually looking forward to a Monday morning because it means you can sleep in longer than you were able to either weekend day (and still be at work by 7:30)!

No comments:

Post a Comment